Thank you for stopping by to learn about the disorders of neurofibromatosis (NF) and schwannomatosis (SWN). This includes NF type 1, NF type 2, and schwannomatosis.
Please click the logos to visit the websites of our sponsors. Become a sponsor HERE.
AVENGER MULTIVERSE SPONSOR
SUPERHERO MULTIVERSE SPONSOR
WEST CHICAGO, IL
MISTER MACHINE PRODUCTS, INC
Neurofibromatosis (NF) and Schwannomatosis (SCHW) disorders are very complex. The complications vary greatly from person to person and change and become more problematic as people age. Here are just a FEW things you should know.
- NF/SCHW are tumor disorders, however they do cause other issues that are non-tumor related.
- NF/SCHW are genetic dominant genetic disorders and people who have it usually have around a 50% chance of passing it on to their children.
- They are not recessive. If you have it, you have it – though a person maybe mildly affected.
- Approximately 50% of people with these disorders DID NOT inherit it. That just confused your mind, didn’t it? This is because “mutations” in a gene can occur very early in development so that a newborn now has the disorder.
- These disorders affect all races, ethnicities, genders equally and because of that crazy “mutation” thing above, anyone can be born with NF or SCHW.
- Though considered rare disorders (together they affect approx. one in 2,500) there is a good change you know someone with NF or SCHW.
The resources on this site should not be used as a substitute for professional medical care or advice on Neurofibromatosis. Users seeking information about a personal genetic disease, syndrome, or condition should consult with a qualified healthcare professional.