Opportunity For Those Wanting to Continue Their Education: Scholarship Applications Are Open!
Here is your sign to start the new year working on your goal of continuing post high school education. The NF Midwest Scholarship Application is open to any adult with NF (the term NF includes neurofibromatosis type 1, NF2– related schwannomatosis and all other types of schwannomatosis). Applicants also have to live in our service area of IL, IN, IA, KY, MO and WI to apply.
This is the tenth year for NF Midwest’s scholarship program which was piloted with funds from a charitable trust left to NF Midwest by Frances and Irma Napolilli. These scholarships can be up to $1,500 and are awarded once per individual and may be used for an undergraduate (Associate’s, Bachelor’s or Vocational) or graduate school on a full or part-time basis at an accredited, US-based institution.
Applications are scored based on a demonstrated drive to succeed despite the challenges associated with living with NF, and aspects such as academic record, community service, participation in NF Midwest, and recommendations are also considered.
The NF Midwest scholarship committee considers many factors. Don’t be deterred by any one criterion. We encourage all students including non-traditional students in our region to apply.
- Applicants will be evaluated and scored on several criteria including, but not limited to:
- Involvement in community service
- Involvement in NF Midwest and other NF-related activities
- Evidence of determination and persistence through difficulties, including those related to life with neurofibromatosis.
- Applications undergo an initial review to ensure that all the information requested has been submitted by the deadline.
- If your application is incomplete or not on time, it will not be considered.
- Scholarship recipients will be selected by the committee on the basis of criteria met.
- The number of scholarships awarded are based on funds available.
Applications are available now and are due no later than March 31st, 2024. With an application, each applicant must include:
- A letter from a physician certifying the applicant’s NF diagnosis unless already known by NF Midwest.
- A personal statement – see application for prompt.
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher, coach, mentor, employee, volunteer supervisor, etc.
- An official high school transcript and acceptance letter or confirmation of enrollment from your chosen college, OR an official college transcript for those already enrolled.
Scholarship applicants will be informed by May 31st, 2024, if they have received an award.