2022 Scholarship Applications Now Being Accepted
If you’re a post high school student with neurofibromatosis or schwannomatosis, and you live in NF Midwest’s service region of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Wisconsin, or Missouri (or you have actively participated in NF Midwest even though you aren’t in our region) you are eligible to APPLY for a $1,000 academic scholarship from NF Midwest. Recipients will be awarded based on the selection process below.
In eight years NF Midwest has provided scholarships to 57 adults for a variety of post high school education programs.
These $1,000 scholarships are awarded once per student and may be used continuing undergraduate (Associate’s, Bachelor’s or Vocational) or graduate school on a full or part-time basis at an accredited, US-based institution.
In 2021, NF Midwest awarded $1,000 academic scholarships to four adults affected by neurofibromatosis or schwannomatosis. This is the eighth year for NF Midwest’s scholarship program which was piloted with funds from a charitable trust left to NF Midwest by Frances and Irma Napolilli. The program awards scholarships to students from our service area who are diagnosed with NF and are pursuing a post-high school education. This education pursuit could be for undergraduate, graduate, and any trade school studies. All adults are eligible to apply. Applications are scored based on a demonstrated drive to succeed despite the challenges associated with living with NF, and aspects such as academic record, community service, participation in NF Midwest, and teacher recommendations are also considered.
The NF Midwest scholarship committee considers many factors. Don’t be deterred by any one criterion. We encourage all students in our region to apply.
- Applicants will be evaluated and scored on several criteria including, but not limited to:
- Involvement in community service
- Involvement in NF Midwest and other NF-related activities
- Evidence of determination and persistence through difficulties, including those related to life with neurofibromatosis.
- Applications undergo an initial review to ensure that all the information requested has been submitted by the deadline.
- If your application is incomplete or not on time, it will not be considered.
- Scholarship recipients will be selected by the committee on the basis of criteria met.
- The number of scholarships awarded are based on funds available.
Applications are available now and are due no later than March 31st, 2022. With an application, each applicant must include:
- A letter from a physician certifying the applicant’s NF diagnosis (unless you are known to NF Midwest)
- A personal statement – see application for prompt
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher, coach, mentor, etc.
- An official high school transcript and acceptance letter or confirmation of enrollment from your chosen college, OR an official college transcript for those already enrolled.
Scholarship applicants will be informed by May 31st, 2022 if they have received an award.
Questions? Please give us a call at (630) 945-3562 or send us an email at .