2020 Scholarship Applications Now Being Accepted
If you’re a post high school student with neurofibromatosis or schwannomatosis, and you live in NF Midwest’s service region of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Wisconsin, and the eastern half of Missouri (or you have actively participated in NF Midwest even though you aren’t in our region) you are eligible to APPLY for a $1,000 academic scholarship from NF Midwest. Recipients will be awarded based on the selection process below.
In six years NF Midwest has provided scholarships to 47 adults for a variety of post high school education programs.
These $1,000 scholarships are awarded once per student and may be used continuing undergraduate (Associate’s, Bachelor’s or Vocational) or graduate school on a full or part-time basis at an accredited, US-based institution.
The NF Midwest scholarship committee considers many factors. Don’t be deterred by any one criteria. We encourage all students in our region to apply.
- Applicants will be evaluated and scored on several criteria including, but not limited to:
- Involvement in community service
- Involvement in NF Midwest and other NF-related activities
- Evidence of determination and persistence through difficulties, including those related to life with neurofibromatosis.
- Applications undergo an initial review to ensure that all the information requested has been submitted by the deadline.
- If your application is incomplete or not on time, it will not be considered.
- Scholarship recipients will be selected by the committee on the basis of criteria met.
- The number of scholarships awarded are based on funds available.
Applications are available now and are due no later than March 31st, 2020. With an application, each applicant must include:
- A letter from a physician certifying the applicant’s NF diagnosis
- A personal statement – see application for prompt
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher, coach, mentor, etc.
- An official high school transcript and acceptance letter or confirmation of enrollment from your chosen college, OR an official college transcript for those already enrolled.
Scholarship applicants will be informed by May 31st, 2020 if they have received an award.